Emergency 9: Front-Tire Slide
When front tires lose grip, most drivers' natural reaction is the correct reaction:
- Say "Oh, shoot" (or similar).
- Remove your foot from the gas pedal.
- Stay away from the brake pedal.
- Leave your hands where they are. More steering won't help and might hurt.
- Wait for the traction to return.
- Pray that the grip comes back before you get to the trees or concrete barriers.
Turning the wheel more or stepping on the brake is like writing checks from an overdrawn account. You're already asking for more grip than the tires can provide.
by Mac Demere, Contributor at edmunds.com